Watch Preview (coming soon)
Running time: 60 mins
Cost: £49 for 30 Day Subscription
About this webinar
In this webinar, famous clinician Dr Dan Hughes will address how to help children and young people with blocked trust. This refers to children and young people who have been catastrophically let down, hurt and/or betrayed by the people who are supposed to care for them. Some of them then switch off from seeking close relationships and move into cold, cut off states. Some re-victimise others as they themselves have been treated, whilst others retreat into a solitary world preferring to relate to technology than to people. Sadly ‘blocked trust,’ often leads to people disliking these children, being frightened of them, getting angry with them or giving up on them, just the responses these children know so well.
Dan will address how to relate to a child, what to say or how to be, in order to enable them to make that essential shift from blocked trust to trust, from avoidant or disorganised attachment to secure attachment. Dan will offer theory, practice and moving case material to show how to reach out to children who don't want to feel, to get close to anyone, and who often treat people who want to help, with contempt.
Dr Dan Hughes will also address how to support parents who are experiencing blocked trust . Sometimes a child or young person will be so unresponsive to, rejecting and/or attacking of their parent’s caregiving, that the parent no enjoys being with their child. . As a result their paternal or maternal brain systems (CARE: Panksepp) shut down. They do not get those lovely rushes of opioids and oxytocin that other parents get, and they longer seek out to engage with their child. Blocked trust can also happen when a parent gets triggered by their child and relives some traumatic power based interaction from the past. Again they shuts off. Parents experiencing blocked care are then much more likely to see their child’s behaviours as ‘bad’ or ‘selfish’ as well as seeing themselves as a rubbish parent, and their parenting can become defensive and behaviour -focused as opposed to relationship-focused. Dan will discuss how to help parents to be able to both think and feel about events leading up to their blocked care. He will explore the vital healing process by demonstrating using PACE with the parent and then helping them to relate through PACE with their child.
Benefits from watching this webinar
- Learn how to recognise when a child or teenager has adopted an extreme defence or destructive way of being in relationships and in the world as a way of coping with a deeply painful past
- Understand why children decide that it hurts too much to feel and why then contempt, control and violence are so appealing
- Learn how to emotionally regulate yourself in order to emotionally regulate the child in the face of the most provocative and hurtful interactions
- Learn how to forge transforming connections with children and teenagers who push you away, make you very angry with them, frightened of them or feel like giving up on them
- Learn how to use PACE with children and teenagers who are experiencing blocked trust, and with parents who are experiencing blocked care
To purchase and view this webinar for 30 days: please click on the image below